Hello Hawk parents!
I’m Karen Schwartzbauer, and along with John Hermann, Julie McCormick, and Shawn Tucker, will be your girls’ soccer coaches at Hamilton for 2016. Between the three of us, we have an excellent mix of years of experience with coaching and playing at high levels, and feel confident in our ability to take on your girls. Our most difficult job, that of organizing, should be mostly done soon and we can then focus on the fun part of coaching on the field.
As you all know, getting the coaches and team together was all a bit last minute so thanks for your patience. We are all busy with coaching and organizing all the administrative duties along with our “day jobs”. We are all committed to having a great season.
To aid in this, it would be great if we could get the following emailed to Karen:
- Your email
- Your emergency contact information
- Your player’s name (so I can make sure my email list is complete and attach player to parent)
The school has been overwhelmed with other issues and I haven’t got contacts for you all yet. We will be setting up a “Team Cowboy” account to help with team announcements and communication.
We had 45 girls show up for tryouts. Everyone was great.
We have decided to make the JV/varsity teams a bit fluid, with some players moving back and forth. Most of the team will be solid, but for the reasons described below we will need to have some players move around. The reasons are as follows:
- I think it good to keep the girls on their toes for practices and games, having to work for their positions on the team.It also gives incentive for JV girls to work hard knowing they may get a look on varsity.
- As the girls were all new to us, we consider it an imperfect system to make a “final” JV/varsity designation based on such few short looks during tryouts.
- Not all girls can make all games, so depending on availability, injuries, and need to fill certain positions, we may need to move players.
However, we also need to consider players’ family needs in trying to make a consistent schedule. I don’t anticipate a lot of movement between teams, but more as exceptions for circumstances.
Karen and John will be the “main” varsity coaches, and Shawn and Julie the “main” JV coaches. However, due to our various work schedules and commitments, we will have to rotate for some practices and games.
Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:30-5:30 at Lower Woodland. A lot of parents have asked about players being released from practice directly from Lower Woodland, rather than at Hamilton. At present they need to be returned to Hamilton after practice, but the vice principal is considering alternatives.
Games are on Saturdays. Link to the schedule: http://www.seattleschools.org/students/extra_curricular_activities/athletics/event_schedules_information/
Please email me if your player cannot make the game.