Hamilton Winter Basketball Health Procedures and Info
This is a reposting of an email sent to families of students that have already signed up to tryout for Basketball on 11/23/21. There have been two updates since that email was sent:
- Daily attestation will not be required for participants.
- Players must wear a mask while they are not “actively engaged” during a game.
Winter Basketball will the be the first indoor sport for middle schools since being back in-person, so there will be several new measures in place to help prioritize student and staff health during the season.
Mandatory COVID testing for students not fully vaccinated
Students who are not fully vaccinated (fully being two weeks past their final shot), are required to be tested before being able to participate, this includes tryouts. The school will provide rapid tests that the student will self-administer under adult supervision. Testing will be done at lunch in Main Office.
During the season testing will be done twice a week. A testing consent form is available under Step-2 on the SPS MS Athletic Forms page https://www.seattleschools.org/departments/athletics/middle-school-forms/. Please fill out and return to the school only if your student will not be considered fully vaccinated by Thursday, December 2nd. Students will be tested on Friday, December 3rd and Monday, December 6th in preparation for tryouts starting that Monday, after school
Tryout Schedule (in the Hamilton Gym)
- Mon, Dec. 6: Girls’ Tryouts, Day 1 (4p-5:45p)
- Tue, Dec. 7: Boys’ Tryouts, Day 1 (4p-5:45p)
- Wed, Dec. 8: Girls’ Tryouts, Day 2 (2:45p-4:30p)
- Thu, Dec. 9: Boys’ Tryouts, Day 2 (4p-5:45p)
- Fri, Dec. 10: Optional call-back day (4p-5:45p)
Most students were sent notification of any missing forms on Tuesday, 11/23. More recent sign-ups will be notified in the coming days. Completed forms should be turned into the main office prior to tryouts. Forms are available on the SPS Athletics MS Forms page: https://www.seattleschools.org/departments/athletics/middle-school-forms/
The below are the current procedures for practices and games and may be subject to change as the season gets starts/progresses.
- DAILY ATTESTATION PROCESS
- Daily attestation will not be required for participants [update from email to families]
- SHARING OF EQUIPMENT/ WATER BOTTLES
- Athletes should have their own water bottle and NEVER share. Shared equipment (Balls, chairs, etc.) should be sanitized periodically.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING
- Social distancing standards are still in place. This includes while on the sideline, in a dugout, and at water breaks.
Due to King County guidelines and out of an abundance of caution for our athletes and officials. Spectators will not be given access to middle school basketball games. Reasoning for this decision is through an abundance of caution and the following:
- Gym Set-Up – Middle School gyms are not set-up in a way that allows for DOH guidance of a minimum of 15 ft. between participants.
- Officials Requirement – Our Officials association has requested for there to be clear separation between spectators. We are not able to provide this at all facilities.
- Crowd Management – In order to accommodate fans for middle school games there would need to have additional staffing (2) at each of our nine middle school athlete sites.
With our athletes, game personnel, and staff safety in mind the Athletic Office believe the approach of restricting fan access to operational personnel is required.
COACHES AND PARTICIPANTS
- As much as possible, coaches should have team arrive together.
- Players will not be admitted into the gym until coach has arrived
- Athletic Coordinator will provide coach with a roster list of cleared and eligible athletes each week
- Cleared and eligible Means – Paperwork completed; COVID tested – Negative result; GPA 2.0
- Coach will provide gameday roster and player tests results to Site Supervisor
- Coach and participants will not be admitted into facility without a game day roster and proof of participant negative COVID test.
- Coach and Participants will be required to complete an attestation prior to entering the facility.
- Coaches and Participants must wear a mask when not “actively engaged” during games. [update from email to families]
- Participants must sit on bench and in stands socially distanced
- Participants should arrive to contest dressed (athletes should not change in restrooms)